Sunday, September 28, 2008

YUCK!

CAUTION: If you don't like poo-poo talk, you should just skip this one!

I think you'll all thank me for not including a picture with this post. We've had the stomach flu this past week. I am so sick of poo! I just put Carson to bed and it was definitely in the top ten of all-time worst Carson diapers. And why he feels the need to assist me while wriggling out of his diaper I'll never understand.

It all started last weekend. On my birthday, in fact! The nursery leaders came and got us TWICE during Sunday School to change Carson's messy diapers. Imagine my joy when I realized we had no wipes in the diaper bag. Then dear little Annie filled her pants and shirt as she lay in bed that night attempting to achieve relief through the simple act of tooting. Not so simple. We had just sat down to watch Season 4 of The Office (my standing birthday present for the last three years) and I was talking to my dad in Mexico online when we heard her crying. So I spent the next half hour cleaning that up. We didn't fully realize what she had done until she stripped to go potty. So that was fun. I gave her a bath and tried not to throw up while I cleaned her clothes, the bathtub, the floor, the potty, etcetera. Ryan got her ready for bed Part II. Well, I guess I used too many Clorox wipes without flushing so the toilet clogged. I just didn't feel like dealing with it right then, so I closed the lid and went back to watch more Office.

As I sat there, I began to feel not so well. As I rushed to the bathroom to throw up, stressed because I really don't like being sick, it escaped my memory that the toilet was clogged. Not good.

I continued to be sick for the next five days. It was a record-breaker week of digestive upset, interrupted sleep, intestinal turmoil, and other such unpleasantries. I finally went to the doctor on Friday (funny how I felt better within a half hour of setting the appointment--no joke! My doctor is amazing! When I told him that I felt better right after calling he agreed: "We ARE GOOD at this office!" he mused). Seriously, though, it's better to go than stay home and risk being miserable over the weekend.

Then, last night Ryan and Annie took turns throwing up and receiving fever-lowering meds. I felt so badly for both of them (and selfishly for myself as well, because I got NO sleep whatsoever--although I got to entertain myself listening to Ryan's sleep-talk). Annie was sweating soooo badly and she was so positive about it. Other than the first time (which happened in the middle of the living room at 1 AM when Ryan and I were slowly waking up from falling asleep on the couch and couldn't move fast enough to prevent it), she went strait to the bathroom and willingly went back to bed each time. Poor thing.

Then today, Carson has made an art out of filling his diaper with the strangest assortment of colors and textures. I don't mean to be so gross, I just shake my head at the week I've had and think that maybe if I laugh about it, it won't seem so bad. One thing is for sure, I have plenty of laundry to do tomorrow!

I just wanted to gripe about this for a minute. I know it won't last forever, and it will happen again and again and again. That's okay. Poo and throw up are part of life. I accept it.

But I figured a way to find humor in all of this. If you want, please share a classic birthday story as a comment on this blog. You know, one of those stories that you just can't believe it is really happening, but then you laugh about it later. If you don't have one, that's fine. I just really enjoy reading funny comments when I've had a rough day!

11 comments:

Paula said...

You made me laugh!

It is at those moments that you think inside your head, I wish my mom was here to take care of this. Oh wait, I am the mom. And then you cry.

Unknown said...

must be nice...

Anonymous said...

Did you have the "mom" face as you were cleaning up?

HeatherD said...

Oh Sarah! We are right in the middle of the exact same thing. AHHHH!! Adin threw up the first time last Sunday. We have all taken turns throwing up for a sold week now and it got worse last night. Brian and I still feel really sick today. It is never ending. Adin's doctor said that it is most likely rotovirus. I guess it goes around every year and the younger you are the worse you get it. It lasts 10-14 days. I may die before we reach that point.
Heather

Jessica said...

oaky Sarah I should have stopped at the caution of this blog post!!!j/k. I hope I never have a birthday that can top your it's pretty good. I hope you guys are feeling better. We will have to have a makeup fantasy party this weekend!!

Sarah said...

Yes, yes! For the record, I kicked Garrett's butt (and Art last week) in my fantasy football league this week. Winning my first matchup on my birthday did lessen the vomitous blow a tad I must say!

Go Sushi Sarah!

Martin Family said...

Sarah, I'm sorry you had such a horrible week.. and then I called you to watch my kids.. I'm a bad friend! :) I'm glad everyone is starting to feel better!

Karen Dupaix said...

Can I just say "eew?" I am so sorry for you to have to go through that! How awful! I hope everyone's better now.

Nope. Can't top that as a birthday story, but we have moved twice on Andre's birthday. We missed it by a couple of weeks this time.

Karen

Jen said...

Sorry you had a crummy b-day! I hope I never top that one - the worst one I've had I spent at the hospital with Shane (having a colonoscopy). He's terrible on drugs, doesn't wake up forever!! I'm the terrible wife that has no patience for it, I've had 8+ surgeries and I was tired of being in recovery waiting for him to be awake enough to go home.

Jen said...

Oh I hate being sick, but I hate even more when my kids (including my husband) are sick! Being a mom is so glamorous right!! Hope you are all over it by now! P.S. You are tagged! Check out my blog for details!

Jason said...

You always had a way with words, Sarah! With five kids, we've had plenty of similar experiences, but I'm not as talented at capturing the moment on a blog as you are. I do have a nice shot of one of my boys in the toilet though.

Good to see you doing well at being a mom. Until I saw your blog, I could only picture you as a wild roommate to Paula and Stacy.