
Here she is--Charlotte (so named by Annie), our garden spider. And just in time for Halloween. Well, actually, she's been with us all summer (or since our tomato plants got too big to pass the tiller between them, anyway). The pictures don't do her justice. She is HUGE. Her body is easily the size of my thumb. Seriously. The size. . . of. . . my thumb. Can you hear me emphasizing this? I cannot emphasize it enough. The first few times I saw her (and she was much smaller then, by the way), I was very very very frightened and not so sure I was going to follow my spider policy, which states the following: "If spider is found outside, that's his or her home and leave it be. If spider is found in MY home, it's 'adios' for the spider." But, in the end, adhering to the policy was to be the decision. It helped that I didn't want bugs to infest and destroy my tomato crop, spiders are good for that apparently. Her web is really big and beautiful. I tried and tried, but I can't get it to show up more in the picture.

Oh, and it gets even better--I LOVE tomatoes, but I couldn't bring myself to pick the ones on either plant that her monstrous web was attached to. After a while, I realized she wouldn't chase me and try to kill me, so we made peace. I kept my distance still, but we shared the occasional conversation, and Ryan tossed her grasshoppers every now and again. He said he watched her wrap them up and even eat one. . . . pass. . . No thanks, I'd rather not see that.

Anyway. Sometimes I'd come out to the garden and she wouldn't be in her web. I couldn't bring myself to pick tomatoes on those days. Who knew where she'd be? Gives me chills.

Ryan told me one day that she let him pet her belly. Now THAT is strange. Why? I ask? Why would you WANT to pet the belly of a spider? But alas, he does love animals, so. . .
Anyway, I don't know how long she'll be around. She has survived the few frosts we've had and moved her web twice. I think I might even be sad when we part ways.
13 comments:
Disgusting...I didn't know of this ginormous spider. You are a much nicer person than I. That spider would have been saturated in bug spray! My spider policy is...if I see it...it dies!! Now I'm going to be afraid to come to the back of your house!!
You should have put a big warning that your title was about a REAL spider because I jumped back when i saw the picture and had to view the blog from a distance. I once made Jeff drive home from work just to kill a spider in the house. What in the devil kind of spider is that? It's pretty amazing, though.
Dangit! and now I've got the heebie jeebies and keep thinking there is a spider crawling on me.
I seriously felt as if "Charlotte" was crawling all over me as I read that post! Seriously. I have a HUGE phobia! Sure, I can understand if you think her web was cool and all....but I can't say I agree! She would have been either smashed on the bottom of my shoe (if I was brave enough!) or she would have keeled over from spraying a half can of bugspray, hairspray, Lysol, whatever! :)
I think it is a black and yellow garden spider, although the pictures aren't exactly alike. My friend is our extension agent and he also said I should let it lay eggs because this particular spider is good for gardens and they've been rare lately. Believe me, I am not a fan of spiders either. I can't think too much about it because it creeps me out.
Quick clarification: if it is a Black Widow or a Hobo (regardless of where I see it), it gets the bottom of my shoe, no question!
Wow! I would have killed it the first day I saw it...my rule is anywhere, anytime. Good for you though for sparing his little creepy life. And btw, I call BS on Ryan's petting story...he was just trying to gross you out!:)
I'm glad you said that if it was a black widow it would see the bottom of your shoe, because I've killed 4 BLACK WIDOWS in the last week..... I have to say you are a very kind spider loving woman. Good for you, I'm glad some people are, I myself am not one!
Yikes! I thought you were exaggerating! She is huge! And once again, I too feel like there are spiders all over me! What a nice lady for letting her stay...I defiantly would not have done that!
I NEVER exaggerate! wink wink.
I think it's brother is in our yard, you can come and get him anytime :) They give me the creeps!
I have seen this spider. It is HUGE!!!
Almost makes me want to watch Arachnophobia again...same chills!
Post a Comment