Friday, January 23, 2009

Bedtime Confessions

Oh, this is priceless. Bedtime is one of my favorite times. Well, for many reasons. First of all, it's my personal sigh of relief for the day. Fun and relaxing things come after it: hot baths in which I read more than one or two paragraphs at a time--that is, until I fall asleep. . . , back rubs from my husband, sitting on the couch and talking or belly-laughing at something hilarious Ryan has said, getting a phone call from a friend, basically what it boils down to is adult time and/or alone time. I feel a little guilty saying that, but I'm just wiped out at the end of the day.

Another thing I love about bedtime is how cute my kids are about it (for the most part). Don't worry, there's plenty of tears and emotional meltowns too on occasion, but as I said, for the most part, they are soooo cute at night-time. Take tonite for example: I was snuggling with Annie. I had just finished singing "the Rainbow Connection" for the billionth time in the last 4 year or so--don't think she could have cared less as an infant. This is funny because any time I start singing during the day, in the car, or what have you, she says to me, "mom, please be quiet." Rude! I know I'd get chucked out of any American Idol audition, but that doesn't mean I want to hear about it. I'm smart enough to stay far away from any solo, performance, concert, etcetera, but I don't need the reminder that I'm awful, for heck's sake! Anyway, I think it is funny that she won't hear a note during the day, but oh, at night time, it's a REQUIREMENT for sleep. Anyway, I digress. . .

So I had just finished singing and we were snuggling and I said, "I love snuggling with you, Annie. I'm going to be so sad when you are a big girl and you don't want to snuggle with me anymore." She patted my head, smoothing my hair most tenderly and responded VERY excitedly (with eyes big as saucers and nods of the head): "Mom, when I grow up and I'm a big girl, then I can use your lives!!!!!!!!!" Now, for those of you who don't know, "lives" is Annie for "knives." Yes Annie. When you are a big girl, you can use my knives. That's exactly where the discussion was headed. thanks.

Then came the confession.

Annie: Mom, when I was a little girl, I used your knives once. What's that thing you use in your left hand to go like this? (followed by a charade-like demonstration of knive-sharpening).

Me: The knife sharpener?

Annie: Yes. I used that.

silence.

Me (to myself): My daughter is saying "damn it" (see previous post) and playing with knives. nice. What is next?!?!?!?!?!

Annie: We don't play with knives, huh. . .?

Me: No, we don't.

Annie: (Cupping my face this time) Mom, I'm so sorry I scared you. I won't ever scare you again.

Me: Thanks, Annie.

Yes, bed-time is great. Great for big hugs and monster, snake, and bad dream concerns. Great for prayers that entertain even the most agnostic of souls. (My favorite was when the first few lines of the sacrament prayer--FROM MEMORY, I must add--were uttered as her bed-time prayer). And, yes, great for confession.

10 comments:

neuroticmom said...

She is just too funny and clever for words! You need to get a journal that you keep with you all the time and write down all these funny things that she says. I started that with Josh when he was little and we still go back and look periodically and laugh our heads off. Don't take this for granted, she won't be confessing forever.

Miriam said...

Annie is such a keeper!! Great post!

Kimberlee said...

Oh I agree about bedtime. And thank you thank you for the rainbow connection. I am sooooo burned out on my usuals. It will be good to introduce something new. My kids have to have a bedtime song to fall asleep too. Annie likes living on the edge. Matches, knives, whats next?

HeatherD said...

I am totally with you on how glorious bedtime is. By the time it comes around, I am so wiped out that I want nothing more than to just sit on the couch and not move. Annie cracks me up. What a little adult. She is four going on 20.

Melanie said...

Thatis so funny sarah!! Tyler is always saying the funniest things in his prayers too. My favorite is when he prays, "Please bless mom and dad that they won't be grumpy" :)

Stephani Polson said...

Holy cow Sarah! That is so stinkin' cute! What a character!

Paula said...

You are a great storyteller! It is so great that you capture all these moments. Miss you.

Jessica said...

Sarah I think you should become a writer, such detail! Who knows maybe you will be the next Stephani Myer!haha I could sit and listen to Annie all day, she says the most random and funny things she cracks me up!!

McEvoy Family said...

Annie might have a little bit of her mamma in her! She is so cute and fun! I wish I could say that I loved bed time that much! It seems by the time I have everyone actually in their beds, by patience are LONG GONE! I am trying to work on that! I want those tender moments! I will admit that prayers have brought many a smile to my face at the moment I needed to relax the most! Kids are amazing! Lots of love, Tiff.

Kimberlee said...

Hope Baby Kate is doing better.
You have been tagged on my blog.