Sunday, June 14, 2009

Baby Rhett is finally here!

HALLELUJAH!!!

Here he is: Rhett Abraham Droubay, born June 10, 2009 at 11:22 AM. He weighed (so they say--I have a hard time believing it because he is soooo tiny to me) just over 8 pounds and was 19.5 inches long. Neither Annie nor Carson were this tiny in their clothes, but I'll believe the hospital scales, okay?

First things first: Ryan chose the name Rhett (which I struggled with at first, but it has totally grown on me now) and I chose his middle name. I named him for my Dad, whose response was: "why would you do that to him?" Well, I'll tell you why--because my dad is an honorable man who I really admire and who means the world to me. I wanted to honor my dad as well as give my son a name he could wear proudly. Both Carson and Annie have also been named for people who are important to Ryan and me.

Well, as many of you know, the births of our first two children were lengthy and quite traumatic for poor ole' mommy. So, my doctor, who is AMAZING by the way, made the decision to take him at 39 weeks, with the hopes that he could spare me a little trauma. This pregnancy was really difficult and very painful toward the end--I know I'm not unique in this--and I was glad as induction day approached, let me tell you! The only thing that made me sad was that I absolutely love feeling the baby inside my tummy, and I knew I'd really miss that when it was over.

Anyway, we reported to the hospital (Mountain West Medical Center in Tooele--AMAZING Labor and Delivery nurses and staff, by the way) Tuesday night (June 9). They started me at about 9:30 and again at 1:30 AM and gave me some medicine to help me sleep. I woke up at about 5 AM or so (I think) feeling some stronger and more regular contractions and dilated to a 4. I am sure I speak for laboring women everywhere when I say that there is not much more frustrating than feeling the pains and hearing some pathetic number like 3 or 4. GRRRRRR!! Anyway, about this time, I felt a huge kick from the baby and immediately realized my son had broken my water! This has not happened to me before, so I was unprepared for how fast labor progressed after that. I think I was on the Pitocin drip by now, and the contractions started to worsen. By the time the blessed nurse anesthetist arrived (LOVE her and her little cart of joy), I was dilated to a 7. Then, immediately after the epidural, I was at a 10! I have not progressed like that ever before. I almost couldn't believe it. But, I couldn't push and the baby was high, (and I still had the sleeping meds in me), so I rested for three hours. At 11AM we prepped for the Great and Terrible Pushing of 2009 and holy moly, he was born on the FOURTH contraction! I almost don't know what to say about this. I am accustomed to pushing for two hours and pleading for the vaccuum, and thinking I'm going to collapse from exhaustion, but I actually ENJOYED this experience, if you can believe it! My epidural was perfect, I felt great, and it could not have gone much better than it did.

Here is his first picture:



Here are some other pictures:

Here he is with Carson and Annie. I put this in because it was really cute to see the kids with their new baby brother. They both wanted to hold him constantly and this is actually when Carson would NOT release his grip. We kept asking him, "can Daddy have a turn? Can grandpa have a turn? Mom? Annie?" and to each question his answer was the same: very serious face, "No. It's Carsie's turn now." Very matter-of-factly. You can tell that he really likes this little man. Here he is, petting his face--I know, it looks like poking, but he was actually petting it. hilarious.



Annie was super cute as well. She raised her hand (like in school) when the nurses brought him in the room and immediately asked if she could feed or hold him. Here they are right before we brought him home on Thursday:



Here are some pictures (the best I can get so far) of his face and features. We think he looks alot like Carson's baby pictures as well as my dad. So appropriately named, I guess!

getting ready to go home from the hospital


chillin' on the couch


three days old


Here is his royal tininess:


this is the day we brought him home. I love this picture!



We are so happy he's home and healthy. We are truly blessed!

13 comments:

HeatherD said...

He is soooo cute! I can't wait to get my hands on him. I have been dying to hear the whole story and see pics. I am so happy for you guys. Meg started petting Adin's head when he was first born and has done it ever since. She has always said, "he is so soft." It cracks me up. Anyways, congratulations. He is perfect!

Stephani Polson said...

CONGRATULATIONS! He for sure looks like a Droubay! I was looking at the pictures thinking he is so little but Ky was 2 lbs smaller! I think you really forget how tiny and precious they are when they are brand new! We are so excited for you guys! Hopefully we can get down there soon to see your new little man!

Kimberlee said...

Oh Sarah he is so cute. The picture of he and Carson is priceless. See you next weekend.

Unknown said...

congratulations, Sarah! That's three beautiful kids you have now. I know what you mean about the sadness that comes when you think about how fast they grow and how little time we have with them as babies. I cried more than my share of tears over those thoughts. I guess you just hold them, hug them, and kiss them all you can while you can. I am happy for you! Well done, and I hope to see you soon.

neuroticmom said...

He is absolutely perfect. Your delivery was exactly like my 3rd delivery. Start epidural at 7, finish at 10, push for 4 minutes and Voila! Perfect baby. I am so glad that you and he are both healthy.

Miriam said...

He certainly looks like he belongs!! Carson was just so excited to see his little buddy that he didn't want anyone to take him away! Congrats on your beautiful family!!

Melanie said...

Congratulations!! Hooray he is here and you are no longer pregnant. Now the sleep deprivations begins :) Ha ha. I'm so happy for you and that you were able to avoid the 2 hours pushing-- way to go. Can't wait to see him!

Mike said...

Very cute--congratulations and make sure to enjoy him while he is tiny. They get big too fast!!

Stacy said...

I am so happy for you. He is so adorable and "Rhett" is such a cute but masculine name. I'm glad everything went well - ya gotta love "the cart of joy"! Congratulations Sarah!

The Yarn Queen said...

Sarah, I'm so glad this delivery was short and sweet, with a beautiful baby to boot. Looking forward to seeing all of you soon.

Jessica said...

Sarah you already know I think he is sooo adorable. Remember I am just a phone call away if you need anything.

Jen said...

Love the name Rhett, now I have 3 friends with Rhetts. One is almost 17, and the other is 8. He's in good company, both boys are handsome guys! Congrats on the "easier" labor/delivery, sounds like my Sarah's labor.

Good luck - love you!

Jen said...

Congrats! He is darling! I need to come and visit you guys! Let me know when you are feeling well and I will try to get a babysitter and come out and visit! Good luck!