Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Haircut

My daughter has a mullet.

. . . sigh. . .

And I have one question: What the heck?

Just when I think, they can NOT raise the bar on their craziness any more than they already have, they do! And feel free to laugh at my parental naivete--I'm sure there's more trouble on the close as well as distant horizon.

I was fixing a clog in my vacuum hose (which ironically was full of hair--albeit Jack's dog hair) and apparently I was a bit TOO engrossed in the task, when she walked in holding THIS in her hand saying, "whose hair do you think THIS is?" with a big smile on her face:


What are you SUPPOSED to do at a time like this? I just started crying. We just got her this beautiful Easter dress (at Costco, LOVE Costco) and shoes, and hair accessories. I just figured out how to have her wear her hair down like SHE likes it yet out of her eyes like I like it. I have a friend who is an amazing photographer who was going to take pics of my kids. And, you know what? I really think her hair is pretty when it is down! I am sure many of you have dealt with similar self-haircut disappointments before and can attest to the fact that I won't feel as horrible tomorrow.

Here is a beautiful before picture: This was taken last summer in CT at my parents' house. It's the best I have of her long beautiful blonde curls:


It is difficult to see from the above photo how long it's gotten, so here's an example from today. Bear in mind that her hair is really thick and there is a surprising amount missing on either side, but again, difficult to tell from the rear:


And the side:


And, lastly, the fabulous front:


Thank goodness for Grandma. Ryan and I are going to DC tomorrow and I asked her if she could schedule a "fix-it" hair appt. for Annie while we were gone. She said she would and called and PRESTO, Heidi (thanks, by the way) had an opening right away. So, off they went. Here is the result:


I guess we'll live. Worse things have happened than this. I think it's cute, although it will take some getting used to. And a little bit of a learning curve for me to figure out how to style it! She was pretty happy about it. When I asked her why she cut it (I never learn, why do parents ask their kids why they've done something naughty? Do we expect they'll give us some glimpse of personal accountability or wisdom gained from the experience? or even honesty, for that matter?) Anyway, she said she wanted it short.

I told her, "next time, ASK!"

what is next?

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Her haircut was lovely. I'd trust her to cut my hair anytime.

neuroticmom said...

She is still adorable, but I feel your pain. I would be devastated if Lucy cut her long, beautiful hair. I'm so sorry.

Maren said...

Long time no see. She looks cute! With her hair short I think she looks like her aunt Kelly. Our blogg is locked so send me your e-mail maren1025@yahoo.com

McEvoy Family said...

Oh man! What a character! It's fabulous that she still looks so cute. I have seen kids who you know cut their hair and they take a long time to look "normal"! I guess you can count yourself lucky she didn't find the buzzers!!! I feel your pain. So sorry!

Stephani Polson said...

I love her little curls too, but her haircut is adorable! So cute!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh now I am reminising when Tim decided to cut my hair. Now you know how Mom feels. HA HA HA!

Miriam said...

OH NO!! I can't believe it!! I noticed her hair on Sunday and it was down to her waist!! Of course she looks darling in short hair as well, she would look cute with any hair cut, including when SHE does it. Loved the post!

HeatherD said...

Annie is adorable any way that you get her. Meg's "haircut" was fairly minor in comparison. She'll still look perfect for easter. Have SOOOO much fun in DC. I love it there!!!

Martins said...

I love the big bottom lip the side shot! What a day! her haircut is cute though! Have fun in Washington.. and tell Ryan sorry you guys are missing out on my calls for a few days!

The Yarn Queen said...

Hey, you will have to ask Phoebe about her self haircut. It's a good story too, but I probably remember it better than she does. Heaven help Mothers every day.

Kimberlee said...

Oh your own little Billy Ray Cyrus! J/K Good thing the cute thing about Annie is her little round face. She looks cute with her new doo.

Paula said...

she's a doll with short hair too-lucky you!

Melanie said...

Oh..my... gosh!! I can't believe she did that. I can't believe how long her hair had gotten either. She looks cute with it short though. I feel your pain - when I took Makenzie to get her haircuta few months ago, I told the lady to cut it to her chin. She cut it to her ear- I cried. I told Kenzie it was cute but when I got home and showed Mike I cried some more and we both agreed that she looked a little bit like a goober. But it's grown out and now she's as cute as ever. (sigh) Probably just the beginning of hair drama with girls, right?
p.s- I can not believe that Carson is 2. Time flies!!!
p.s.s- sorry about the prego- I HATE being pregnant- with this last one- I felt so much better immediately after Austin was born than I hadfelt since 6 weeks of pregnancy.

handsx3 said...

Oh Sarah Annie would be adorable with no hair at all (it could always be worse)! but I feel your pain. I'm sure if Jack had long hair it would have been gone a long time ago! I think in the "after" picture she looks so much like Ryan. (and not because her hair is short...)Your writing always make me laugh, Thank You!