Friday, March 20, 2009

HAPPY 11th ANNIVERSARY!!!

Early Spring 1998
In love and BLISSFULLY CLUELESS!!!


I can hardly believe Ryan and I have been married 11 years. I know. I know. Just wait till it's 20, 30, 50, . . . I'll deal with THAT craziness when it happens.


My car's temperature gauge says that it is 64 degrees outside today. Eleven years ago, it was cold and cloudy and windy! In most of the pictures (NOT the above one, thank goodness), my bangs are just flying in the wind. One of several "whaddaya do?" wedding-day mishaps. All in all, it was a GREAT day! I remember a few things about it (surprisingly):

I remember that I woke up and I couldn't believe I was going home with Ryan rather than my family at the end of the day. I remember loading my bags into the "getaway car" which was hidden--thank you Richard. I was SO excited about that. We'd bought our first home--a two-bedroom condo in Logan--and we'd moved all our stuff in and it was waiting for us after our honeymoon. It seemed so strange yet exciting. I didn't have to write my name on my mustard, cheese, milk, what have you, in the fridge anymore! WOO-HOO.

I remember that we ate Eggs Benedict at the wedding breakfast. I remember my friends sang for us, I remember talking with all of our friends and family and smiling a lot. I'm sorry to say I don't remember much of what the sealer said before we were married. But, I remember who was there, and I remember how I felt. I'll never forget that. I remember sitting in the celestial room of the temple while we waited to be taken to the sealing room--which by the way, my dad SWEARS was the same room he and my mom were married in. Incidentally, on our 5th anniversary we did temple sealings to celebrate and were in the same room! And, last fall, we did sealings again in the SAME ROOM! What a great way to remember that awesome experience, I say!

What I remember most is how Ryan totally took my breath away when I walked around the corner to where he was waiting in his tux--I could NOT believe how handsome and sexy he looked! My heart was literally pounding in my chest. He had picked out his tux -- no input from me allowed! I think he did a GREAT job!

I remember thinking I couldn't believe how lucky I was to find someone who fit me so well. From the moment I met Ryan, I was impressed by so many things. He was very kind and gentle, he didn't care that he wasn't the only person I was dating. He was not embarrassed to tell me and show me how much he liked me. I was grateful for that because I do NOT like the "does he like me?" game. Always hated it. I would much rather just KNOW and not have to guess or figure out how to play the game. Anyway, it was like he knew how he felt and he was confident that with time, I'd realize I didn't need to date anyone else. I still remember the night I went on my last date with someone else. I spent the entire night wishing I was with Ryan and I couldn't wait to get home and tell him.

Another thing that impressed me about Ryan was how respectful he was. He was a true gentleman. And I remember when we drove to his parents one weekend to meet his family. I felt immediately comfortable with them. That makes a big difference, ya know? I've always been very grateful that I married into such a great family. I'm so lucky to have such great in-laws. And they're pretty fun, too. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, NO ONE makes me laugh as hard as Ryan does. And he knows it. Life can be pretty hard sometimes, and it makes all the difference to me that my silly husband is there to lighten the load.

I could go on and on and on. Suffice it to say that I'm so glad that I married Ryan eleven years ago today. It hasn't always been fun and games (who DOES have it that way?), but even when we've struggled or had hardships, we've grown so much closer and stronger as a couple, and found more true joy together. And I couldn't have picked someone who was more perfect FOR ME! Even though we are different in many ways, we have much in common. He evens out my personality very well and I'm grateful for how our differences make us better and more fun for each other. Oh ya, and we've made some cute kiddos together too, I think.

So, thanks to all of you who are such great examples, friends, and supports to us. Some of you were there eleven years ago today: can you spot yourselves?


I'm excited for the next eleven years!
(I hope it's MUCH MORE than that)

5 comments:

The Yarn Queen said...

A beautiful tribute to a wonderful couple. I love the things you remember about the day and how your love for Ryan shines in each paragraph. Happy 11...

Miriam said...

What great memories of the start of an eternal family!! You guys are great!

Kimberlee said...

Oh I remember that day well. It was cold! It seems like a million years ago. You and Ryan have been through alot and I respect you both for the outcome today. Happy Anniversary.
ps. you don't put your name on food in the fridge anymore? Mike and I totally do. ha ha

Jen said...

Congrats you guys! What a milestone! When are we getting together? Let's plan it sometime soon!

neuroticmom said...

Awwww!

Sarah, you did not get Sammy sick, so stop worrying.

You and Ryan and your family are so sweet. Love you all.